Corner of Maple and Park
In 1791, Vermont joined the fledging United Sates of America. That same spring, the residents of Brandon laid out Pine Hill Cemetery on the North road leading to Middlebury. Since then, several thousand headstones have been placed and several streets have been laid out in the hilly terrain. Thomas Davenport, the Brandon blacksmith who invented the first DC electric motor in 1834 and received patent number 132 in 1837, is buried here. The façade of the underground vault is an architectural treasure. A recent addition is a memorial to the residents of Brandon Training School who also rest here. Next time you are traveling North or South on Route 7, take a few minutes and visit the corner of Maple and Park.
Albert Woodworth’s body is buried in Northfield's Elmwood Cemetery in a grave lot shared with several slaters who were friends of his widow. Albert had joined the Northern Army during the War Between the States. He left behind his widow, Ellen (Woodworth )Flanders Woolworth and six children. Albert Woodworth was born on June 6, 1816 in Royalton, Vermont. It was there that he went to school and later learned to work as a blacksmith. He married Elizabeth “Betsey” Sawyer in 1843. They moved to Bradford, Vermont... Read on...